Recommended System Requirements
The following requirements are recommended for effective use of Autodesk® Inventor™ 2009 software for general part and assembly design, typically fewer than 1,000 parts.
Operating System (1,2,3)
* Windows Vista® Home Basic
* Windows Vista® Home Premium
* Windows Vista® Business
* Windows Vista® Enterprise
* Windows Vista® Ultimate
* Windows® XP Professional (SP2)
* Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition (SP2)
* Intel® Pentium® 4
* AMD Athlon® 64
* AMD Opteron® or later (2 GHz or compatible)
Minimum System Requirements (<1,000 Parts)
* 1 GB RAM (5)
* Direct3D 10, Direct3D 9, or OpenGL-capable graphics card, 128 MB (6,7)
* 3.5 GB free hard disk space for installation (8)
* DVD-ROM drive (9)
* Microsoft Mouse-compliant pointing device
* 1,280x1,024 screen resolution
* Internet connection for web downloads and Subscription-aware access
* Microsoft Internet Explorer® 6 (SP2) through 7 (SP1)
* Microsoft Excel® 2003 through 2007 for iComponents, thread customization, and spreadsheet-driven designs
Additional System Requirements (>1,000 Parts)
(1) For installations of Inventor 2009 with single-user local Content Center and Autodesk Vault 2009 access. Please see the Autodesk Data Management system requirements for remote server installations for sharing Content Center and Vault data among multiple users.
(2) Inventor 2009 and AutoCAD® Mechanical 2009 applications are each provided both as 32-bit and 64-bit applications for installation and use on the corresponding operating system only. Autodesk Vault 2009 is a 32-bit application for installation and use on either a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system. The 32-bit and 64-bit versions of these applications are all included in the same package.
(3) Autodesk Inventor/AutoCAD Mechanical design applications and Autodesk Vault must all be the same language on a given computer. English versions of these applications will run on any language operating system. Other language versions of these applications will run on operating systems of that same language.
(4) Inventor 2009 has been optimized to take advantage of the SSE2 extended instruction sets supported on Pentium 4, AMD Athlon 64 and AMD Opteron processors. Inventor 2009 will not install on computers that do not support SSE2. Several utilities are available on the internet that report CPUID including supported instructions sets.
(5) Autodesk recommends settings that allow Microsoft Windows to manage virtual memory, as needed. There should always be at least twice as much free hard disk space as system memory (RAM).
(6) Please refer to the Autodesk published graphics card information.
(7) OpenGL graphics hardware acceleration is available only in legacy feature support mode by Microsoft for Windows XP Professional only.
(8) Required if installing from DVD media. Electronic download methods may be available in some situations and require additional hard drive space to store the downloaded files prior to installation. File sizes are indicated at time of download, and overall hard disk space requirements are based on the selected files and products being downloaded. These files can be deleted after installation.
(9) Inventor 2009 is available on DVD media or, in some situations, via electronic download. (CD media is no longer available.) DVD-ROM drive is not required if installing downloaded software.
For Autodesk Inventor 2009 for basic educational purposes and for small assembly designs, the minimum system requirements are 512 MB of RAM and 1.5 GB of available hard disk space. You will need an additional 1.8 GB of hard disk space to install Content Center; this tool can be installed either on a local workstation or on a centralized server for access by multiple users.